Another tremendous post Christmas dish. Therese Rajadurai, Wandsworth Asian community librarian, has been another keen supporter of Stitch from the start. Before her annual pre-Christmas trip to Sri Lanka, she very kindly came along to the York Gardens Library classes to help out. And even found the time to contribute a recipe.
A Sri Lankan Fish Curry
6 pieces fish (Kingfish or salmon)
1 Tbsp Chilli powder
2 Tbsp Coriander powder
½ tsp Cumin powder
½ tsp Black pepper
½ tsp Cumin seeds + ½ tsp Cumin seeds
7 cloves Garlic – chopped and mashed
½ tsp Fenugreek
½ cup Coconut milk
½ cup Tamarind water
½ tsp of black pepper
• Fry the onion with the cumin seeds and fenugreek.
• When brown add the coconut milk and all the spices individually.
• When it comes to the boil add the fish pieces.
• When the fish is cooked add the tamarind and salt (to taste)
• Just before taking the fish out off the heat add the black pepper, 2 cloves of garlic and ½ tsp Cumin seeds (these add to the flavour). At the end put some curry leaves to bring out the full aroma.
• Serve with boiled Basmati rice or String Hoppers or Hoppers
• Desert can be Vatilappann (Sri Lankan egg custard – delicious)